The Movable Book Society was established in 1993, when Bill Clinton was president of the United States, Beanie Babies were introduced and Rutgers University librarian Ann R. Montanaro published Pop-up and Movable Books: A Bibliography. The overwhelmingly positive feedback from collectors who purchased the book convinced her that there was abundant interest in the topic to form an organization of collectors, and thus she founded The Movable Book Society.
The Movable Book Society, a nonprofit organization, provides a forum for artists, book sellers, book producers, collectors, curators, and others to share enthusiasm and exchange information about pop-up and movable books. There are nearly 450 members worldwide. All are welcomed to join.
The Movable Book Society Board members at the 2018 biennial conference including incoming board members Jason Brehm and Denise Dougherty-Price and outgoing board members Frank Gagliardi and Ann Montanaro Staples
Board of Advisors
- Monika Brandrup, Vice President, Creative Director at Up With Paper
- Jason Brehm, Pop-up Book Collector
- Denise Dougherty-Price, Author and Designer
- Frank Gagliardi, Retired Associate Director of Library Services, Central Connecticut State University’s Burritt Library
- Kyra E. Hicks, Marketing Director and Author
- Kyle Olmon, Paper Engineer and Librarian
- Ellen G. K. Rubin, the Pop-up Lady
- Larry Seidman, Movable Book Collector
- Shawn Sheehy, Board Director, Book Artist, and Paper Engineer
- Isabel Uria, Graphic Designer and Paper Engineer
- Ann Montanaro Staples, Founder